Places of Interest
Aunrihar is situated in lat. 25° 32′ N and long. 83° 11′ E on the main road leading from Varanasi to Kushinagar on NH 29, about 42 Km. west from Ghazipur city and about 3.2 km. from Saidpur. This place is archaeologically interesting . One of the oldest and most important sites in the district is the belt having collection of mounds stretching from Saidpur to Aunrihar. The whole surface of the ground of Aunrihar is strewn with fragments , large carved stones & fine pieces of sculpture which are being utilised as common building stone. Every few yards traces of masonry wall appears.
Town situated on the bank of Saryu. It is at a distance of About 35 Km. from Ghazipur. The Place is said to have been founded in 1742 AD by Sheikh Abdullah the Governor of Ghazipur , who also built a large fort here. A small fair is held here on the occasion of Ram Navami.
Bhitari is situated about 32 Km. form Ghazipur near Saidpur town. The name Bhitari is popularly derived from Bhimutri. The Bhitari is archaeologically very important. It is a place of Great antiquity & contains many remains of great archaeological value. It is probable that Bhitari was at one time in hands of Buddhist but it is probably attained its chief importance during Gupta Era.. The most noticeable relic of that Epoch is the famous monolith of red sandstone standing in the fort enclosure on the block of ruff stone. It has a bell shaped capital about a meter high like those of some Akhoka pillars.On it there is an inscription referring to the reign of Skanda Gupta and his succession to Kumar Gupta. The latter name occurs on several large brick that was excavated at the foot of the pillar in 1885 an oval silver plate bearing incription of Kumar Gupta, was found in the adjacent ruins. apart from the pillar the most valuable yields have been a seal and coins giving the Genealogy of nine generations of Gupta kings.The Bhitari was probable one of the royal residences and the influence of Gupta Kings on the area.
Virpur is situated on the bank of Ganga at a distance of about 35 Km. from Ghazipur. It was the capital of Tikam Deo, a great Cheru Raja. Old coins and pieces of sculpture have been found in the fort that was built by Cheru Raja.
Dildarnaar lies on the road from Varanasi and Zamania to Buxar and 20 Km. from Ghazipur. Between the town and the station there is mound called Akhandha, said to have been the seat of Raja Nal and the large tank to the west is called Rani Sagar after his famous queen Damayanti. In the center of the mound are the ruins of two temples.
Gauspur , a large village, is situated 14 Km. from Ghazipur. The former Jamidars of the place were Bhumihar who claimed descent from those who cured Raja Mandhata of his leprosy and who in consequence received a grant of land. The tank in which tha Raja bathed is still pointed out on the eastern border of the village and it has ever since been the resort of the persons similarly afflicted. The Raja’s fort was as Kathot and adjacent village on the east.Both in Ghauspur and in Kathot are to be found traces of an Hindu civilization, large masses of stone and old bricks have been discovered and in the temple are to be seen several striking pieces of Hindu sculpture. Oldham assigned to these a Buddhist origin and identified the place with the “monastery of unpierced ears” mentioned by Chinese pilgrims Hiuen Tsang and Fa Hien.
Ghazipur, a town , is situated in Lt. 25 35′ N and Long. 83 35″ E on Varanasi Gorakhpur National Highway 29. The history of Ghazipur since the days of its traditional foundation by sayid Masood in 1330. According to legend the ancient name of city was Gadhipur.The mound found in the city may be old dispensary stood is said to be the site of ancient mud fort , that is know as Fort of Raja Gadhi. In the south of city , The Cornwallis monument is present,where the Governor general of India is burried. It is heavy structure with a domed roof supported on twelve Doric columns. the floor is some four mt. higher than the ground and is of gray marble. In the center there is a cenotaph of white marble , bearing on the south side a medallion bust of Cornawallis. In the mid of city there is a tank close to road known as Pahar Khan’s tank. The Chihul Satun or hall of 40 pillars, this being the place where Abdullah Khan is buried in the garden known as the Nawab-ki-Chahar-diwari. The Gateway of the palace is handsome but the residence itself is dilapidated. Opposite the chihal Satun a road leaves the main street on left and runs in a north-easterly direction, past the Jami Masjid.There is a Math of Pauhari Baba , great saint of there time is situated 10 Km. from city.As the Ghazipur is situated on the Banks of River Ganges ,hence there are some beautiful ghats , like Mahadeva Ghat, Dadri Ghat,Collector Ghat, Massol Ghat, Chitnath Ghat and Posta Ghat. ChitNath is the oldest one among them.
The saipur town is situated on NH 29 just 30 km from Ghazipur. In the town there are two muslim dargah , one being a small domed building resting on the square pillar. The other are a larger and more remarkable structure with a massive roof of a stone. These town buildings might represents Chaiyas attached to Buddhist monastery.one of being the tomb of Sheikh Samman, who died in 1595 and other are makhdoom Shah.
It is an old ,high bank of Ganga about 16 Km.south from Ghazipur. The Town was founded in 1560 by Ali Quli Khan, The governor of Jaunpur and named after his title , Khan Zaman. According to Hindu tradition , it derived the name of Jamadagnia from the Rishi Jamadagni.The Lathiya3 Km, from southeast of the town , there s lathiya pillar,that is circular monolith of polished sandstone 50 cm. diameter and about 6mt. in height. There is bell-shaped capital and above this is a group of eight lions facing outwards.